Our Grandfather always spoke so tenderly of this girl who at sunset climbed the 13 steps to the guillotine - laid her young head on the block the knife came down - the lovely head of dark curls was severed from the body - a martyr to Protestantism. That night the bereaved mourners laid to rest all that was mortal of this girl they loved so much.
That night at 1:00 A. M. this heart broken group left France forever, praying they might reach the land where all could worship God according to his own conscience.
The bereaved young husband carrying his infant son, the weeping parents, and teenage brothers, and a few other relatives altogether 13 or 14 persons carrying a few bundles began the walk towards the Straits walking by night resting by day. Arriving they took whatever boats available; they crossed the English Channel.
Protestant England welcomed them in with food and shelter. This was somewhere between 1785 and 1790. And now to reach America the urge became more powerful.
Soon they began gathering material for the building of ships to cross the Atlantic Ocean to America. Kind English friends helped a great deal. Soon they were busy building three sailing ships. The three brothers of Marie chose as life companions lovely English girls, who also wished to come to America. Young Boveau made his home with the parents of Marie for they took care of his little son. their many friends gathered on England's foggy shore, farewells were said , they arrived in America with no particular trouble in crossing. They settled first in Canada and then in the United States. Grandfather believed Almighty God has a powerful hand in the affairs of men and nations.
Grandfather was a Baptist Minister
Written by Millie Sturgis who was born way back in 1885 - a cousin
The Benjamin Abbe mentioned here was the son of Daniel Abbe and Esther Nunn
Descendants of Daniel Abbe
Generation No. 1
1. DANIEL1 ABBE. He married ESTHER NUNN 1826, daughter of BENJAMIN NUNN and ELIZABETH FRETZ.
Children of DANIEL ABBE and ESTHER NUNN are:
2. i. BENJAMIN T.2 ABBE, b. April 03, 1828, Lincoin Co. Ontario, Canada.
ii. ELIZABETH ABBE, b. March 10, 1890; m. JAMES SINGER.
iii. OLIVE ABBE, b. February 09, 1832, Walpole, Haldimand Co. Ontario, Canada.
iv. JESSE M. ABBE, b. 1833.
v. RHODA ABBE, b. 1835, Dover Ont, Canada.
vi. JACOB N. ABBE, b. 1837; d. 1859.
3. vii. MARY JANE ABBE, b. 1838, Norfolk Co. Ontario, Canada.
4. viii. MARGARET A. ABBE.
ix. MELVIN P. ABBE.
Generation No. 2
2. BENJAMIN T.2 ABBE (DANIEL1) was born April 03, 1828 in Lincoin Co. Ontario, Canada. He married ELIZA HILGERD June 28, 1852.
Children of BENJAMIN ABBE and ELIZA HILGERD are:
i. SARAH ANN3 ABBE, b. April 07, 1853; d. December 20, 1853.
ii. WILLIAM H. ABBE, b. November 18, 1854; d. June 25, 1855.
iii. ESTHER ABBE, b. July 09, 1855; d. June 17, 1887.
iv. SUSANNA ABBE, b. June 14, 1857.
v. DANIEL A. ABBE, b. November 16, 1859.
vi. SARAH F. ABBE, b. February 17, 1862.
vii. JOHN H. ABBE, b. January 30, 1864.
viii. JACOB ABBE, b. June 25, 1867.
ix. IRA D. ABBE, b. January 11, 1870.
5. x. BENJAMIN T. ABBE, b. September 26, 1874.
3. MARY JANE2 ABBE (DANIEL1) was born 1838 in Norfolk Co. Ontario, Canada. She married (1) SHELDON DAVY. She married (2) HUGH MCGAW.
Children of MARY ABBE and HUGH MCGAW are:
6. i. CECILIA JANE3 MCGAW, b. July 14, 1859, Haldimand County Ontario Canada.
7. ii. ESTHER A MCGAW, b. July 02, 1861, Elgin County, Ontario.
8. iii. NANCY J. MCGAW, b. July 26, 1863, Elgin County, Ontario.
9. iv. MARY E. MCGAW, b. May 17, 1866, Lapeer County.
10. v. GEORGE W. MCGAW, b. December 13, 1868.
vi. HUGH E. MCGAW, b. December 04, 1870; d. June 16, 1871.
11. vii. JOHN K. MCGAW, b. July 27, 1873.
12. viii. OLIVE HUGHRETTE GERTRUDE MCGAW, b. September 12, 1875.
4. MARGARET A.2 ABBE (DANIEL1). She married PHILLIP SWEET.
Children of MARGARET ABBE and PHILLIP SWEET are:
i. FRANCIS J.3 SWEET, b. August 14, 1868.
ii. SARAH E. SWEET, b. March 08, 1871.
iii. ETHALINDA SWEET, b. October 27, 1875.
iv. MARTHA SWEET, b. September 08, 1881; d. 1882.
Generation No. 3
5. BENJAMIN T.3 ABBE (BENJAMIN T.2, DANIEL1) was born September 26, 1874. He married EMMA MATTHEWS.
Children of BENJAMIN ABBE and EMMA MATTHEWS are:
i. LEON DWIGHT4 ABBE, b. March 17, 1902, Elkton, MI; d. December 07, 1989, Alpena General Hospital, Alpena, Alpena Co., MI; m. LILLIAN MAE KLEIN, November 14, 1922, Hillman, Montmorency Co., MI.
ii. BASIL ABBE.
iii. OLIVE ABBE, m. FOREST BRANDINGBURG.
iv. FLOYD ABBE.
v. ARLIE ABBE.
vi. CLAUDE ABBE.
vii. FAY ABBE.
6. CECILIA JANE3 MCGAW (MARY JANE2 ABBE, DANIEL1) was born July 14, 1859 in Haldimand County Ontario Canada. She married LOUIS DURFY.
Children of CECILIA MCGAW and LOUIS DURFY are:
i. HATTIE C.4 DURFY.
ii. BERTY DURFY.
7. ESTHER A3 MCGAW (MARY JANE2 ABBE, DANIEL1) was born July 02, 1861 in Elgin County, Ontario. She married WILLIAM WALLACE 1874.
Children of ESTHER MCGAW and WILLIAM WALLACE are:
i. HUGH4 WALLACE.
ii. MARY J. WALLACE.
iii. GERTRUDE WALLACE.
iv. MABEL WALLACE.
8. NANCY J.3 MCGAW (MARY JANE2 ABBE, DANIEL1) was born July 26, 1863 in Elgin County, Ontario. She married PHINEAS WALSH.
Children of NANCY MCGAW and PHINEAS WALSH are:
i. ANNIE J.4 WALSH.
ii. CHARLES A. WALSH.
iii. GEORGE A. WALSH.
9. MARY E.3 MCGAW (MARY JANE2 ABBE, DANIEL1) was born May 17, 1866 in Lapeer County. She married DANIEL DOAN September 01, 1885.
Child of MARY MCGAW and DANIEL DOAN is:
i. MABEL M.4 DOAN.
10. GEORGE W.3 MCGAW (MARY JANE2 ABBE, DANIEL1) was born December 13, 1868. He married AVA MC GUIRE.
Children of GEORGE MCGAW and AVA MC GUIRE are:
i. CARL4 MCGAW, b. 1902.
ii. LEAH MCGAW.
11. JOHN K.3 MCGAW (MARY JANE2 ABBE, DANIEL1) was born July 27, 1873. He married LULU ENGELSBE.
Children of JOHN MCGAW and LULU ENGELSBE are:
i. GLEN4 MCGAW, b. October 21, 1894.
ii. FRED MCGAW, b. March 10, 1898.
iii. NELLIE MCGAW, b. September 10, 1902.
12. OLIVE HUGHRETTE GERTRUDE3 MCGAW (MARY JANE2 ABBE, DANIEL1) was born September 12, 1875. She married EDWARD BURGESS.
Children of OLIVE MCGAW and EDWARD BURGESS are:
i. EDWARD4 BURGESS, b. January 04, 1895.
ii. IDA BURGESS, b. July 04, 1899.
iii. CARL BURGESS, b. May 20, 1903.
iv. MILDRED BURGESS, b. January 22, 1906.
v. RUTH BURGESS, b. April 10, 1908.
vi. EVA BURGESS, b. August 23, 1911.
vii. LESTA BURGESS, b. January 24, 1914.